About Us Steam Locomotives Southern Railways ‘Schools’ 4-4-0 No. 30926 “Repton“ Southern Railways ‘Schools’ 4-4-0 No. 926 “Repton“ 926 ‘Repton’ was completed at Eastleigh in May 1934. After a spell at Bournemouth it operated from Fratton (Portsmouth) depot until the Waterloo-Portsmouth route was electrified in July 1937. It was then one of ten ‘Schools’ locomotives transferred to Bournemouth as replacements for ‘King Arthurs’ on the London expresses. It remained at Bournemouth for most of the war, being used on the lighter expresses and, after the war, on inter-regional trains. Further electrification caused more moves of these locomotives and ‘Repton’ was withdrawn from Basingstoke depot, with the remaining members of the class, on 30 December, 1962, just 2 years after a major service. Rescued from Barry Island scrapyard and restored at Eastleigh by 1966, Repton was donated by her purchaser to Steamtown USA in Vermont, who in turn loaned her to the Cape Breton Steam Railway in Canada. Some modifications were made to her to satisfy US/Canadian running requirements, most notably a high-sided coal tender - though this pattern of tender had been seen on other "Schools" in BR service. Currently undergoing overhaul at Grosmont which can be seen from the viewing gallery located in Grosmont Shed Shop. Work is progressing well and it is hoped she will be back in service in 2017. She has been running in her British Railways colours and numbering as 30926 but will return to traffic in Southern Railway colours under her old number 926.