About Us Steam Locomotives No. 3672 “Dame Vera Lynn“ Designed during World War II by R.A. Riddles, No. 3672 was built by the North British Locomotive Company, Glasgow, as Works No. 25458 in 1944 for use by the British Army. Within a few months of construction it was numbered 73672, shipped to Egypt with 15 others and placed in store. By October1945 the 16 locomotives were declared surplus to requirements and sold to the Hellenic State Railways of Greece, being shipped to Salonika in January 1946. 73672 was renumbered Λβ960 and based in the Salonika division where it was used on main line passenger duties, including the Athens to Istanbul Express. Displaced by new diesels in 1967, it was relegated to secondary work until withdrawn from service in 1979. Together with 90775 and an American S160 it was purchased by a group of Mid-Hants members and returned to the UK. It was then sold to the Lavender Line at Isfield, East Sussex, where it arrived in August 1984. After some repairs it was named ‘Dame Vera Lynn’, renumbered 3672 and commissioned on 6 August 1985 by the Dame herself. For more information on the locomotive, please visit the appeal website by clicking here.