About Us Steam Locomotives Lambton Colliery No. 5 This locomotive was built in 1909 by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn of Darlington, Works Number 3377, for Lambton Collieries, which in 1924 became Lambton, Hetton and Joicey Collieries. No. 5 was employed all its working life hauling coal transfer trains over the colliery ‘main lines’ around Wearside. Withdrawn in 1969, she was acquired by the fledgling NYMR and went almost immediately back into service hauling passenger trains and works trains, and undertaking shunting duties. In her early days at the NYMR she carried our own initials on her side, before being repainted to show the initials of the National Coal Board, her owners at withdrawal. At present No. 5 is undergoing an extensive overhaul and can be seen inside the Deviation Shed at Grosmont. Image from 1975.