Railway Conservation. Run by Volunteers. Not for Profit.
The NYMR is best enjoyed with a group of people you know, experience the age of steam, explore the stations and see the beautiful vistas of the North York Moors National Park! We will take your group on a journey they will never forget!
We love groups, which is why if you are in a group of 20 or more people we will offer you a group discount off the standard fare price throughout the day.
1. Pickering Station is a must-see 1930’s themed station which will transport you back in time to the steam era.
2. Don’t miss the celebrity station, Goathland, which became Hogsmeade Station in the first Harry Potter film.
3. Explore Grosmont Station which is home to the operating and engineering world of the NYMR. If you are lucky you might be able to catch a sneaky peak at the work taking place on our engines!
4. Visit Whitby with its narrow streets and bustling harbour overlooked by the striking ruins of Whitby Abbey.
5. The NYMR's aim is to provide a high quality, safe and authentic evocation of the steam age.
Yorkshire’s Magnificent Journey appeal aims to raise £2,500,000. Keeping 18 miles of railway with more than thirty bridges through the difficult countryside of the North York Moors in top-notch condition is a continuing challenge. The 180-year old railway already invests around £1 million annually but there’s only so much the fare box can generate and much more is needed for the railway bridges and its 50-100-year-old vehicles to remain viable.
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway is a not for profit charitable trust providing memorable experiences for visitors and fulfilment for volunteers and staff through the operation of Britain’s most popular heritage railway between Whitby and Pickering.
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions when organising your group visit to the railway.
Group bookings can be made by telephoning our Customer Services Team on 01751 477700 or email [email protected]
Image Courtesy: Matthew Pollard