Railway Conservation. Run by Volunteers. Not for Profit.
You can help support the place you love by becoming a Member, Donating or giving your time as a Volunteer.
The North York Moors Historical Railway Trust is a not for profit charitable organisation run as part of the local community. Day to day operation is carried out by over 900 volunteers with railway operations and business experience. Join our thousands of members who help to keep the railway on track.
The prime objective of NYMR Membership is to support the railway in achieving its charitable purposes. They are the preservation and operation of the historic and scenic railway line across the North York Moors and the preservation and conservation of Heritage locomotives and rolling stock, Heritage railway buildings, bridges and other historic railway structures, Heritage signalling systems, Railway archives of historical records and artefacts, and the operation of heritage trains over the railway.
Together, with your support, we can maintain the North Yorkshire Moors Railway as Britain’s premier heritage railway. Our founders had the vision to rescue the railway from oblivion after the drastic cuts to British Railways in the 1960s and with unflappable enthusiasm, hard work, and incredible fundraising has made it what it is today. But the work continues… It costs over £50,000 per week just to keep the railway services running and there are ongoing infrastructure costs that need to be met. As a charity, we rely on the support of our members, donors and visitors to enable us to plan for the future and continue to preserve what was for so long an indispensable part of our transport infrastructure.
In recognition of your support we make available certain benefits which currently are:
• Preserving one of the world's greatest heritage railways• A vote on resolutions at our Annual General Meeting• A quarterly publication of Moors Line magazine which keeps you up to date with what’s going on at the NYMR• Free Travel for your canine friend and/or cycle• Travel benefits – currently 50% off daily travel services except as follows:
‣ Already discounted tickets e.g. Family tickets, Compartment tickets‣ First Class travel upgrades‣ Pullman and other special on-board catering services‣ All Special Events already discounted tickets e.g. Steam Gala special discounted tickets
• Membership Fee discount when you join by recurring Yearly Direct Debit
All benefits relate to the Member and do not apply to any accompanying visitors/guests.
1. You will receive an email from either our Credit/Debit Card partner (currently Stripe) or our Direct Debit partner (currently GoCardless) confirming receipt of your application and your Membership fee. These emails will contain reference numbers – these are not your Membership numbers and cannot be used to obtain Membership benefits.
2. If you take out Membership by Direct Debit we will not send you annual Membership renewal reminders. However, if our Membership fees increase we will send you an email at least six weeks before your renewal is due confirming the new fee and you will have the opportunity to cancel your Direct Debit before renewal.
3. The railway is not able to honour any Membership benefits until you receive your Membership card(s) - please allow up to 14 working days for processing. Members planning to use their Membership to travel should wait until they have received their official Membership card(s).
Did you know? Members have the option of joining the NYMR Foundation, a dedicated fund used exclusively to support the work on a range of infrastructure and rolling stock projects.
The complete set of Terms & Conditions is available here: Terms & Conditions. Please read them before taking out or renewing your Membership as they fully define how the Membership process works and what your Membership benefits include.
Monthly contributions directly to the NYMR Foundation Development Fund.
As a member why not join the 900+ Club for a chance to win up to £100 per week.