GWR Pannier 7714 GWR Pannier 7714 7714 is a GWR Collett 5700 class 0-6-0PT ‘pannier tank’. The 5700 class was the most numerous class of engine designed and built by the Great Western Railway; more than 860 were built between 1929 and 1950. Pannier tanks could be found at work all over the former GWR system and although designed primarily for shunting duties, they were regularly used on local freight and passenger workings. British Railways Western Region 'BR(W)' rated the class as 4F, although elsewhere the class was rated 3F. 7714 was built for the GWR by Kerr Stuart & Co. of Stoke, Works No 4449 of 1930. The visible rivets on the water tanks are a sign of its non-Swindon origin. The locomotive entered service at Tyseley the same year, and worked at various sheds until withdrawn by BR in January 1959, having run an estimated 520,259 miles in service. 7714 was sold to the National Coal Board for use at their Penallta Colliery near Rhymney in South Wales. Initially used daily, the long wheelbase proved unsuitable for the tight curves in the track there so it mostly acted as a spare engine. 7714 went to the SVR in 1973 following a successful bid. A lengthy restoration followed; the locomotive was not first steamed until 1992. The locomotive was then regularly used on winter services and also saw service at the South Devon Railway in 1995 and the East Somerset Railway in 1996. In mid-1999 the locomotive was repainted into GWR green livery. Shortly afterwards it suffered an issue with the driving stub-axle working loose. This was sent away for repair at the British Steel workshops near Redcar. The repair was successful with the axle reinstalled by the winter. Around this time the boiler also received an overhaul at Crewe Heritage Centre, with a return to service in summer 2000. After working in each of the years 1992 to 2009, 7714 was withdrawn from service in August 2009 with a boiler issue. The locomotive then spent a period on display in The Engine House, before being moved to Bridgnorth in April 2012 for overhaul. It is thought the damage to the right-hand half of the cylinder casting occurred during its NCB ownership. The riveting of the boiler barrel had been completed by January 2016, with the boiler passing it’s out of frames steam test in August 2016. The locomotive was painted in BR black at Bridgnorth during October 2016, with the overhaul being completed in November 2016. The locomotive is now owned by the SVR Pannier Tank Fund, who also own GWR Pannier 5764.