2253 was built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in America in 1943 and shipped to Britain aboard the Norfolk which arrived in Hull in May 1943.

It worked on the LNER from its base at Neville Hill depot at Leeds.

Following being returned to USATC stock it was shipped to France in September 1944.

Following the end of the Second World War 2253 was bought Polish State Railway and became TR203-288

It was brought to Britain from Poland in 1992 following a major overhaul, running on the NYMR for the next 10 years. 

After being cosmetically restored on the NYMR it was loaned to the National Railway Museum and put on static display at Locomotion Shildon as part of a Second World War display.

The locomotive will be run in and will also take part in the Annual Steam Gala before heading to its new home at the Dartmouth Steam Railway. 

Picture: Charlotte Graham.