2 – 5 May
Timetables and loco allocations
Updated 1 May 2014
- Trains to Battersby (Friday, Saturday, Monday) – the ability to travel on one heritage train and change to another on a different route is a unique experience on a standard gauge railway only possible at our Gala events.
- 4464 (fastest UK steam loco inn preservation) – often paired with the LNER teak set recreating a 1930s ECML express.
- Shuttles and Freights (albeit some with diesels).
- Steam on core services.
- Non-stop trains and branch locals.
- 110 year old Lambton No 29.
- The B1 masquerading as long gone classmate 61034 ‘Chiru’ – commemorating the last train 60 years ago between Whitby and Stockton which was hauled by this engine.
Unfortunately one of our visiting locos (‘Jinty’ 47406) developed a fault last weekend (the blast-pipe leading to the chimney). Although every effort has been made to effect a repair this has proved impossible. At the same time another locomotive we had hoped to have back in traffic after major work has also not quite made it. This means that we are unable to field the full line up of steam locomotives for this second Gala Weekend and one or two trains will involve diesel traction. However, the main services will still be steam hauled and there is still much to see and experience including:
We are very sorry not to be offering as extensive a line up as usual. So if you buy any NYMR Rover ticket for travel on any day/s this bank holiday weekend (02-05 May) keep your ticket to obtain a £3.00 discount off the price of a Day Rover ticket for the Autumn Steam Gala. We are planning to introduce a Great Western flavour for this event with up to three GWR locos likely to join our regulars.
Enjoy two weekends of intense steam traction on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Visiting engines will include:
The home fleet will feature:
We are very pleased to welcome back Scarborough & District Railway Modellers with Model Railway Layout displays in the Learning Centre at Pickering Station on both Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday Monday.
Paintings, posters and prints sale (2-5th May). More information.
Sales & fundraising stands at the Steam Gala include, Scarborough & District Railway Modellers, The LMS Patriot Project, LNERCA, Dame Vera Lynn Fundraising Group, M & J Tongue Nurseries and Geoff Sharpe (Saturday 03/05)
Gallery from 2013 event
[flickr-gallery mode=”photoset” photoset=”72157633478266537″]
Gallery from 2012 event
[flickr-gallery mode=”photoset” photoset=”72157629669050620″]
Gallery from 2011 event
[flickr-gallery mode=”photoset” photoset=”72157626066025085″]
Gallery from 2010 event
[flickr-gallery mode=”photoset” photoset=”72157623927985787″]
Gallery from 2009 event
[flickr-gallery mode=”photoset” photoset=”72157617460369857″]