The North Yorkshire Moors Railway operates steam trains along an 18 mile line between the market town of Pickering and the village of Grosmont, through the heart of the North York Moors National Park and onot the mainline to Whitby covering 24 miles of track. The railway passes through a variety of scenery, from wooded valley to heather clad moorland. It also calls at picturesque villages along the way and offers access to unspoilt countryside and the sea for walkers and cyclists.
The NYMR is one of the earliest and most historic lines in the North of England. Its origins go back well over a century and a half, and was an important trade link between Pickering and Whitby. Following a meeting in 1831 George Stephenson was asked to report on building the line of simplest construction for the employment of animal power. The complete 24 mile stretch of line was fully opened in May 1836.
The line operated for well over a century during which modifications were gradually made and steam locomotives took over. In the 1950’s traffic began to dwindle and by 1965 the line operated its last passenger service.
Interest however was in favour of trying to keep the line across the moors open and in 1968 a meeting was held by people keen to re-open the line. Through a major fund raising scheme and help from the County Council, sufficient funds were raised to re-open the line in stages until 24 May 1975 the line was again open between Grosmont and Pickering. As progress was made, so the interest in running to Whitby increased. Occasional trains were introduced to try the Market, being operated by an outside operator. It was thought that these trains were successful enough to run more and now we operate over 100 days a year under our own Train Operating Licence and using our own Locomotives.
For the well-being of all our customers and staff, please note that NYMR has a ‘No smoking’ policy throughout all public areas, including the use of electronic cigarettes.